Happy new year y’all! Have a good time, and be happy, every day:
I thought I would help you start your new year off right with a list of four nutrient-packed super foods to include in your diet…often.
1. Kale: Rich in vitamin K, vitamin A, vitamin C, manganese, fiber, calcium, and an abundant source of antioxidants.
- Bake bite-size pieces with a tad of olive oil and season with sea salt to make delicious kale chips.
- Juicing: kale, apple, carrot, ginger, and beets…delicious
- Simple kale salad with fixins. Hint, massage kale with a little olive oil to tenderize
2. Pumpkin and Squash: Lots of bang for your buck! These are low in Saturated Fat, very low in cholesterol and sodium, a good source of Vitamin E, Thiamin, Niacin, Vitamin B6, Folate, Iron, Magnesium and Phosphorus,Dietary Fiber, Vitamin A, Vitamin C, Riboflavin, Potassium, Copper and Manganese.
- Bake them
- Mash them
- Stuff them
- Roast the seeds
- Season with Stevia, cinnamon, Nature’s Balance, and other tasty toppings for a delicious sweet addition to any meal.
3. Beets: A good source of folate, manganese, potassium, fiber and vitamin C. They also contain betalains, a type of phytonutrient with impressive antioxidant properties.
- Juice them
- Grate them
- Roast them (serve with goat cheese and roasted walnuts)
- Make a soup with them
4. Beans: Packed with fiber, protein and antioxidants, beans are an excellent choice for a healthy side dish. Three common beans (pinto, red kidney and small red) rank in the top five for antioxidant content in foods. To reduce your risk of bean-induced gas, soak them first, then top with cumin or garlic while cooking and add a strip of kombu to help break down the protiens and complex sugars that are hard to digest and result in unwanted gas.
Tips: The New Orleans way to cook beans is with bell pepper, onions, and celery-known as the holy trinity of seasoning. Add garlic and bay leaf and simmer with love dawlin for the best pot of beans ever. Mondays are red bean days in the city and they are on every menu and in every home kitchen.